CONGRATULATIONS to the 2012 Robin Brett Mosaic Scholarship Recipient, Kathy Thaden!
THE ROBIN BRETT MOSAIC SCHOLARSHIP was created to assist emerging and established mosaic artists in their professional development by funding an educational opportunity pivotal to the advancement of their careers. This award is meant to foster the creative development of artists serious about expanding their knowledge of mosaic art. The Robin Brett Mosaic Scholarship reflects the goals of the Society of American Mosaic Artists (SAMA), whose mission is to educate, inspire, and promote excellence in mosaic art.
2013 Application Guidelines
• Applicants must be SAMA members for at least 12 months prior to applying.
• Applicants must be 18 years or older, with a Social Security number
• Applicants must demonstrate an interest in mosaic art, and must clearly articulate how a focused educational opportunity will support their growth as a mosaic artist
Who is NOT eligible to apply?
• SAMA’s Executive Director, Staff, current Board of Trustees and Advisory Board members, and their families
• Groups, organizations, businesses, and 501(c)(3) tax exempt entities
• One individual may not apply on behalf of another
How many Scholarships will be awarded in 2013?
The Robin Brett Mosaic Scholarship will award 1 scholarship in the amount $2000.00 for 2013.
What types of learning experiences will be funded?
• “Pivotal” educational opportunities. Applicants must demonstrate that the proposed learning experience will give them the critical skills and knowledge necessary to take their “next big step” as a mosaic artist.
• Learning experiences provided by established, credible organizations and/or instructors.
• Examples of acceptable learning experiences include workshops, classes, conferences, trainings, master classes and seminars.
• Funding is not limited to “mosaic-specific” programs, however, applicants must clearly explain how the experience will further their career as a mosaic artist.
What are the Scholarship selection criteria?
• Quality of applicant’s artwork and mastery of basic mosaic skills and techniques
• Applicant’s commitment to mosaic art
• Degree to which proposed learning experience qualifies as “pivotal”
• Credentials of organization/instructor providing educational opportunity
Who will choose the Scholarship recipients?
The SAMA Scholarship Committee will first screen applications for completeness and eligibility, then forward them to a volunteer Panel of Reviewers who will choose the Scholarship recipients.
If I receive a Scholarship, will I be required to provide a follow-up report on my learning experience?
Yes. Within 30 days of completing your learning experience, you must submit a follow-up report that includes a written narrative along with images documenting your learning experience and a list of your expenses.
If I receive a Scholarship, how will the money be awarded?
SAMA will pay one-half of your scholarship ($1000.00)within two weeks of the award announcement. SAMA will pay the second half of your award ($1000.00) after receipt of your follow-up report.
What are the key dates and deadlines for 2011 Scholarships?
Applications available: May 2012
Application deadline: July 15, 2013, Midnight EDT
Award Notification: August 15, 2013
Learning experience must be completed by: September 1, 2014
Follow-up report due: 30 days after completing learning experience
How do I apply for a Robin Brett Mosaic Scholarship?
Download the application here in MSWord Format. 2013RobinBrettScholarshipApp
Download the guidelines here in AdobePDF Format. 2013RobinBrettMosaicScholarshipGuidelines
Who do I contact if I have questions about the application process?
• E-mail email@example.com
call 817-507-9459 to speak to Julie Dilling, Scholarship Comm. Chair
How can I donate to the Robin Brett Mosaic Scholarship Fund?
• Donate online
• Call 866-902-SAMA (866-902-7262) to donate via credit card.
• Mail a check to: Society of American Mosaic Artists P.O. Box 624 Ligonier, PA 15658
Please make check payable to “Society of American Mosaic Artists” and write “Robin Brett Mosaic Scholarship Fund” on the memo line